Saturday, September 9, 2006

Rainy Hamstring Miasma

First, can anyone guess the title reference? It's nice and obscure

Second, I am becoming a truly horrendous Ultimate player. Gah! And what is up with the upper part of my right hamstring? It hates me, that's what!

Third, I said I'd have a song in B-flat up soon, and... what can I say, these hips don't lie! No, that's not the song I played. This song, as one of the other posts probably mentions, is called "Justification" (or something about eighth-notes). It was originally conceived about 3 years ago as the second song in a rock opera about postal workers on bicycles (inspired by the U.S. Postal Service-sponsored cycling team that Lance Armstrong was a part of for several years, and also by an AIM conversation I had with Susan Schomburg that she probably doesn't remember). Had I completed the rock opera it would have set the world record for most eighth-notes ever in an opera, rock or not. The song has changed a bit over the years, and I think it's pretty much broken free of its strange roots.

I think that's all I have to say today. It's pretty much same as the last one, http://earth.hair.wing.ball.mysteryrobot.com:8080/justification.ogg

Oh yeah, that's right, the title. The title refers to this item from the second greatest computer game ever, Kingdom of Loathing. The greatest computer game ever is triangular minesweeper.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Triangle Minesweeper?! You are an evil man - I had grown weary of the regular Minesweeper (the only challenge the is the speed now). Ah, more things to procrastinate with!

TwoTenths said...

...Al, I'm not one to disagree - mainly because I don't like hurting feelings, or stepping on toes when I inevitably prove myself right - but I have to here...I have to disagree, and tell you that you are wrong...that Tetris is the greatest game of all time. Until the time you come to admit the error of your ways, you are hereby banned from Chicago, and the surrounding areas.

(These classes in Stalinism are seriously going to my head...)

Secondly, last year, as I was doing a research project on ancient civilizations, I was using the wikipedia as a reference point...as a reference point so I would not have to flip through the 400 pages of my text to find the estimated dates of Hammurabi's reign in Ancient Babylonia. I was mildly disgusted by the two paragraphs dedicated to the establisher of the first known legal system in the world...and was significantly more disgusted after stumbling on to the 15 page biography, and psychoanalytical character critique of Wario, and Waluigi...

I thought Wikipedia could save the internets...but now I know better...I’m sharpening my axe, and I’m going to put it, and its series of tubes, out of their misery.

Don’t try to stop me.

Al Dimond said...

Wikip├Ždia will never save the internets, not a single one of them. The internets are dead; Netcraft confirms it.

In related news, the Wikip├Ždia article on the "Slashdot trolling phenomenon" (an article whose title suggests it's somehow anomalous for a huge comment-driven website to attract a thriving ecosystem of trolls) is about 3 times as long as the article on Hammurabi, and was clearly written with a no small amount of care and attention (note the ever-so-helpful hyperlinks to "Oral Sex" and "Teabagging" in its mention of the "Don't forget to pay your $699 licensing fee you cock-smoking teabaggers." troll; I don't want to know how long those articles are).