Sunday, November 5, 2006

Hehe more music

I've been putting off recording this song for a while and so I finally did it. I'm thinking of dubbing in a clarinet solo over the middle part to distract from all the mistakes I'm making in the piano (and also because I think it would sound good) but it's getting too late to be playing clarinet in the apartment. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow, or maybe I'll wait another month. Song is called "Optimistic Song About San Francisco", which is a crappy title, but it really is overly optimistic.

http://earth.hair.trick.bog.mysteryrobot.com:8080/optimistic_song.ogg edit: router got reset again, everything is at earth.hair.trick.bog.mysteryrobot.com now

And I finally have a reasonable index page up there now, too, in full xhtml glory. I think eventually I'll self-host this blog and use that as an excuse to properly learn perl. Not that you necessarily need perl for a blog, but I'd want people to leave comments.

Finally: if you use Windows you can play Ogg/Vorbis files with Winamp. If you use a Macintosh there's a dead program called "MacAmp Lite" that can still be found floating around the Internet somewhere. If you use some form of Unix just about any music player worth its salt plays 'em (I've been using Audacious lately, which is like xmms except not from the 18th century); the simplest way to play a single ogg file is with the ogg123 command-line tool from the vorbis-tools package (vorbis-tools or something very similar, according to the Internet, can also be made to run on at least Plan 9, DOS, QNX, NeXTSTEP, VMS and BeOS and can surely at least yield you a decoding filter anywhere you have a reasonable C compiler).

If you're using some platform that isn't mentioned above let me know, just because I enjoy hearing about obscure computer systems. I know I left out something... hmm... IBM mainframes? Well there are portable devices. Windows Mobile and PalmOS have no shortage of Ogg-capable media players. Vorbis-tools will work on Symbian, so you can probably get it running on your cell phone. The only other systems I can think of are tied to hardware too old and slow to conceivably run a Vorbis decoder in real-time. And those various one-man OS projects that seemingly are all inspired by BeOS but somehow different from it. There are the academic "capability" systems: KeyKOS, EROS, CapROS and Coyotos, and probably many others. OK I'm done thinking about this for now.

No comments: