Saturday, February 3, 2007

A California Winter

I did some hill running at Rancho San Antonio for the first time in a while today. Winter in California is basically spring. Brisk, cool, moist air, the foothills covered in green and purple; so purple that even though almost all purple looks blue to me I instantly saw this purple as purple. In the summer, since it never rains, everything is dry and dead. But now it's beautiful.

And, although sometimes I still think my body has it in for me, it actually worked properly to a surprising degree today, as I pushed much harder than I really should have up and down the hills. Of course, the reason I was pushing so hard is because for the last 3/4 of the run I had to use the bathroom. Cut the run short and head back to base camp? Never! Just run faster! No wonder my body hates me...

This may be Más Información Que Ustedes Quieren Saber (we miss you, Señor Mendoza), so browse away if tú no quieres saber (who am I kidding, the very kind of information that people want is of the too-much variety): there is something odd about my bowels and running. It feels like classical conditioning of some kind. Right before and during runs they always want to move. When I have more flexibility in running times I always wind up pushing back the run to let this process finish before I start running, but when I'm at El Rancho and the sun will be down in just over an hour I don't have that luxury.

I have a feeling that some of those Spanish verbs up there shoulda been in the subjunctive... oh well...

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Get those California runs in while you can! We have a high of zero degrees here in the Midwest today!

PS I can sympathize with your desmaciado informacion... I have to be awake at least an hour before I run, which sucks when I run at 6am in the summer...

You know what? Fuck this stupid word verification. Why can't they put something where you can actually tell what letters they are using? Attempt four...

Al Dimond said...

So I think there are people that have learned to have greater control over unconscious processes... that would be a fun skill to develop.

I think I can disable the word verification. In fact, I will. And if spambots don't attack I'll keep it off.