Saturday, April 7, 2007

One-Way Communication

Two nights ago I was having a nice calm bike ride home from work around midnight when I heard a loud noise from my left side. A car full of what looked like bored teenagers had driven up beside me and the one in the passenger seat had shouted directly in my ear. I'd been hoping to get to sleep right after getting home, but it startled me and I knew I wouldn't be able to go right to sleep after that. I cursed silently at them from a block behind, once my mind had re-oriented itself.

Last night as I lay in bed at 2am a motorcycle started outside on the street. Probably in the parking lot of the bar. Though its rider couldn't see me through my wall or drawn curtains I raised my middle finger at his choice to install loud pipes on his bike and ride it at such hours.

We shouldn't stop bored teenagers from being assholes, and we shouldn't stop motorcyclists from holding a noise competition on public roads. In fact, quite the opposite. Ban mufflers on all vehicles. Ban insincere politeness from everyone. Even if I have no voice for my opinions, let reality show things for what they are.

No comments: