Thursday, May 24, 2007

Burning my PTO, bitches!

So far in the time since work ended I've done shit I should be blogging about, but I've been too fuckin' lazy until now. There are pictures, and my camera shit is packed, so pictures once I'm set up in Chicago in a week-ish. Patience.

After getting out on Friday I rode up to Alviso Marina to check out the ghost town of Drawbridge. There are some ruins, and some paths. The first train passed and I was pretty well hidden, but when the second train passed through I was out in plain view, and so in the off chance that some authority figure aboard the train would call in that I was there and send some other authority figures after me. Pretty OK place.

Obervation: My ankles are bad-ass. I rolled them a few times on the railroad ties while running out to the island and they didn't even swell up or anything. *Flexes ankles*

Saturday I rode down to Santa Cruz with a backpack full of clothes and stuff. It hurt my back. I took it easy (I know y'all probably don't think I even know how to do that while running or biking, but I really did this time). I tried to get into Holy City but there was a mean-looking fence. Fucking boo. Well, I didn't try very hard... it could probably be gotten into without too much effort. But I just went on to S.C. Went to the beach, just stood out there waist-deep in the water. Little boy screaming at the sea for much longer than you'd think a kid his age should be able to focus on anything. Shared a glance with a knee-deep young lady that didn't look like much of a beach person over that episode. Went, got a wet-suit. Old couple walking down the street, man said disgustedly, "Apparently clothes are optional in this town." Swam around the wharf. I'm not a very good swimmer. I think it's around a mile. It was tiring. Checked in the wetsuit. Put on an orange shirt. Got a compliment on the orangeness of the shirt. Some other people recognized me as the dude they saw swimming around the pier, said they got a picture of me. The picture is probably posted on someone's blog, with a shark-fin photoshopped in behind me. I hope so.

By that point I was hungry and in the mood for beer so I went down to the first brewery. They were about to close (not much of a retail establishment, although they will become one shortly after I leave California) so I tasted their offerings and got a bottle of their IPA for later.

Went down to the hostel, checked in. Some dudes from Italy hanging out there, and a local street musician that is passionately anti-sprawl. He owned, all told, a backpack full of stuff. Seemed reasonably happy with the arrangement. Being a computer geek, runner, cyclist... I don't think I could get it down that far if I tried (running requires lots of clothing and shoes, cycling a bike and more clothes, computing a computer... I had a backpack the same size for my day-trip, mostly filled with clothes).

Walked over to the second brewery, this one with a bar attached. This dude saw me up at the bar trying their barleywine, asked if I'd just biked in. I said yeah, but wasn't sure how he figured that out. It turns out the bar was having a bike night (last week was sort-of bike week in California) where you could get a free beer by biking in, so he figured any random scruffy dude hanging out at the bar alone had probably just coasted in for a free beer. Somehow I hadn't noticed that, and I thought he meant, "Did you just bike into town?", which would have made him a psychic. Anyhow he invited me to go meet his buddies from a UCSC agro-ecology program that had just rolled in for free beer that evening. I had some real dinner and got my free beer (two beers after that much exercise was about all I could handle) and we hung out for a while. Was talking to one of them about moving, and he asked why I didn't just move to Santa Cruz. I said I really wanted to be back with all my friends in Illinois, and he said I had friends in Santa Cruz now too. That was cool. But I miss y'all Illinoisans anyhow. They were going to a little concert and then back to UCSC to party until the livestock local to Santa Cruz came home, but I had to get back to the hostel by 11pm.

Welllll, apparently I didn't *have* to be back at the hostel by 11, because when I woke up there were at least three more people in the room than when I went to sleep. If I'd stayed out with those folk it probably would have been completely out of line, though.

On the ride back, unlike when I did this round-trip in one day, I was able to make the whole stretch on Mountain Charlie Road only stopping once, and that stop only to take a really awesome picture. There are several really awesome pictures to take along the road, but I was really feeling awesome and didn't want to stop. So I just picked my favorite view and snapped a few pictures there. It's not that I'm in better shape than then (I'm actually in far worse shape), it's just that that stretch of road is much more feasible with 10 miles behind you instead of 50.

1 comment:

jl said...

sounds like quality adventures. i salute your wandering spirit. *salute*

we get to see each other on saturday!! *happy dance* there will be delighting.