Friday, June 29, 2007

Now I have to wash my cleats...

Bunch of idiot drunken 13 year-olds interrupted our Frisbee game last night. Among other things, they repeatedly tried to start fights with us and other people at the park, tried in vein to break the old Schwinn (definitely glad I didn't ride my good bike to Frisbee), and apparently at one point took one of my cleats (I was not wearing them at the time), ran to the other side of the park, peed on it, then brought it back and threw it at us. Nobody was injured, and the extent of the damage sustained was that now my cleats smell like strongly alcoholic pee.

Really, with Wilder being such a high-traffic park, it's not unusual for our games there to be interrupted. Sometimes a person passing through will join in the game (as much as the field at Wilder is awful, it is cool that people join in), sometimes silly kids come through and grab the disc, give it a good chuck, and run away. I guess this was a bit beyond that.

I think that one measure of a place is how it disrupts you. Chicago disrupted me with prohibitively long lines at public ice skating, and disrupts me into just wandering around checking out the cool buildings. Well, plenty of other ways, too. San Francisco disrupted me by making it impossible to get anywhere in a timely manner, but introducing me to friendly (if sometimes weird) people while trying. Santa Clara and San José disrupted me with deafening motorcycles. Elmhurst seems to disrupt me like a gnat in my ear. Idiot kids yelling at me from their cars as I run, walk, or especially bike around town. Idiot kids picking fights at the park. Idiot kids littering by the Prairie Path. Neighbors parking their car across the sidewalk because it wouldn't fit in their garage (a few years ago when I was on crutches). Nothing seriously bad or dangerous, just annoying.

3 comments:

Danielle in Iowa said...

Lisa was just bemoaning how the teenage boys in Schaumburg make fun of her as she rides around on her bike. Teenagers are stupid.

On another note, if you are a vindictive soul like myself, you can call the cops on people who routinely block the sidewalks with their car. That is usually a parking violation in most cities. Sometimes people just don't even realize that they are blocking people (probably because they never actually walk or ride their bike and drive everywhere).

John Dimond said...

I think it's that the teenagers in Elmhurst are so spoiled rotten that they think it's their right to shit on anyone else. It seems to be a common trait among many people who have alot of money.

Just the other day I was riding my bike to work and I pulled up next to a big college-football lookin' guy in a Ford F-350 Super Duty with big shiny wheels to make a right hand turn because he was waiting to go straight at the red light, but right as I was turning he suddenly decided to turn without a signal and almost hit me. Then he proceeded to yell at me out of his window that I should get a license plate and stop riding on the street. I stopped next to him at the next two red lights. He swore at me at each light. He was on his cell phone the whole time. I simply replied that some people don't have enough money to buy a huge truck and drive it around by themselves for pleasure at the expense of the environment and the safety of bikers on the street, while talking on their bluetooth headsets. Of course, I'm not one of those people, I could easily afford to do it, but I thought it might guilt him into shutting up. It just made him more mad. His self righteous rant about the way he chooses to use his money was so funny that I didn't burn him on the next block so that I could hear the conclusion of it at the next stop light.

Ridiculous.

Al Dimond said...

You misplaced a hyphen there, John. Not, "college-football lookin' guy," but rather, "college football-lookin' guy."

One of the things that I get a lot (though not yet in Elmhurst) is people (usually middle-aged men driving nice cars or riding nice motorcycles) asking me how much I paid for my bike. I think it's kind of weird. It kind of makes sense... they see me and think, "I wish I could be as sexy as that guy. I'm sure I make enough money to buy a bike like that! I could so do it!" Anyway, it's still a bit personal, so I like to answer, "Less than your car/motorcycle!" They're missing the point, anyway. Being hot on a road bike does not require a nice bike, it requires that you look good in spandex.