Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tootsie Rolls

Since moving to Seattle Jess and I have noticed that lots of cool famous Internet personalities are Seattleites. For example, the Penny Arcade guys, and the authors of Unshelved. I hear all these people are from Seattle and I wonder where they are in Seattle and what they think of the place, because they don't tend to incorporate much local flavor in their work. Anyway, I don't remember that being the case in Chicago, regularly realizing, “Hey, that guy's from my town!”

What's from Chicago? Both of my guitars, for one thing, as they were both made by Harmony. My dad's old guitar is like this one and my “new” guitar is this one. And someone brought in some extra Halloween candy to work today and I noticed that Tootsie Rolls come from Chicago.

My first thought was that maybe they were made at that big candy operation south of O'Hare. But I punched the ZIP-code from the package into Google Maps and found that they're actually made just south of Midway Airport (not far from the huge rail yard), where there used to be an old car factory (according to Wikipedia).

Tootsie Roll ingredients? Why, they're simple! Sugar, corn syrup, partially-hydrogenated soybean oil, condensed skim milk, cocoa, whey, soya lecithin, “artificial and natural flavors”. So, primarily, sugar, more sugar, and some really bad fat. A true taste of Chicago, if you ask me!

No comments: